26/04/2011

Birth Control Detox

I decided to discontinue my use of the popular birth control bill Yasmin (Yaz) back in May 2010. It is now April 2011, and although many things I have read say that birth control detox is not necessary after 6 months, I have had a totally different experience. It did not occur to me that many of the symptoms this past fall were related to going off the pill until a Google search on rhinitis took me on this wild adventure.

I have been on birth control pills for well over 10 years. I have gone on and off them as needed be and never had any noticeable side effects. My doctor convinced me to try Yasmin because it was healthier for me and I agreed with her. Within 2 months of taking this birth control pill I noticed I was gaining weight significantly. I attributed the weight gain to stress, life, change in diet etc. No less than one month after being on this pill I also noticed brown patches forming on my face like never before. It happened when I went in the sun. There was a distinct freckle moustache that was awkward and embarrassing. I used bio oil and it seemed to fade enough so I didn’t feel so out of place in public places. I also had lost my libido.

Throughout that summer I continued gaining weight. I still didn’t really understand why I was gaining weight and was still lacking any libido. This continued for months and then depression ensued.

The spring of 2010 was an unusually sunny one for a Northern climate like the one I live in. I took full advantage of any day light I could get. I was horrified to see that within 2 weeks of partial sun exposure my freckle moustache was back. Not only was the freckle moustache back, but a large brown patch on my forehead, two patches of brown under each eye and just enough white on the sides of each nose to make me look like a clown!

That is when I started looking for real answers. All answers I found led to estrogen and oral contraceptives. I spoke with my fiancé and we agreed it was in my best interest to discontinue the pill.

I stopped taking it just in the middle of May. I didn’t notice any significant changes then and I was optimistic the patches would go away soon. The patches didn’t go away at all, in fact they stayed for almost the entire summer. Within a few weeks I started t develop a stuffy dry nose, and gain weight more rapidly to when I started taking the pill. Within a month I went into a deeper depression and erratic mood swings. After months and months of research I started to find that all my symptoms related to the discontinuation of the pill.

There are many symptoms claimed, but here are some of the ones I found consistent with others who have gone off Yasmin:
-loss of libido
-hair loss
-weight gain
-rhinitis (pregnancy nose)
-discoloration in the face (freckles/brown patches)
-depression
-mood swings
-unable to conceive

I have been off the pill for just about a year now. Everything I have read states that 6 months should clear your system out.  It very well may clear out the excess chemicals, but it doesn’t always restore balance to your delicate hormonal system. I am determined to do this myself.

I recently found out that since going off the pill I have PCOS, Insulin Resistance & Hypothyroidism. I asked my doctor if this was caused from the birth control I was taking and she told me it is very likely. These are common ailments. It’s always funny when you hear these things after the fact but never in the sales pitch.

I know that there is always a natural way to restore your body back to normal and I intend to do this without big pharma.

I will update this blog frequently with my restoration plan, and my progress J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nutty Chipmunk

Nutty Chipmunk